Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Overdosed!

overdosed parenting
Last Monday I did something stupid --- I incidentally overdosed myself. So stupid of me, yeah.


I was having fever at that time due to a urinary tract infection. I didn't go to the doctor, I just knew it was UTI based on experience. I had suffered the same symptoms twice before so I'm kind of familiar with it already. And both of the past incidents, I did not drink any doctor-prescribed medicine. I did not drink any pharmacy-bought medicine at all. I relied on my mother's magic "nilagang dahon ng Sambong." 


Oh, yes. My mother was born and raised during the "laga-laga" and "tapal-tapal" era so there was really no surprise if she always tries to heal us first with all those medicinal herbal plants before she would resort to bringing us to the doctor. So there, twice before, when I suffered from UTI, all she did is to boil some leaves of Sambong (Blumea balsamifera) and have me (or rather, force me) to drink the juice. And yes, it worked! Twice of the time, it did. I got healed.


But this time was different. No, I am not drinking that sambong juice anymore, I thought. It's effective, alright. But gawd, can you just imagine the taste of a mug of boiled Sambong juice? I'm telling you, it taste so bad! As  in! I really have to fight from throwing up every time I try to drink up a mug of "nilagang Sambong". The agony!


And so what I did is I sent hubby to the nearest pharmacy to buy me some over-the-counter relief for UTI --- Sambong in tablet form! Oh, yeah. The benefit of Sambong without having to endure it's ill taste. Just great!


It's my first time to take such med so I took some time reading the labels. Recommended dosage: 2 tablets 3 times a day!


Two 500mg tablets? I got hesitant. But well, this is still Sambong. It's herbal. It's safe. I won't get overdosed.


Or so I thought. Because yes, you guessed it right. I was overdosed! Minutes after taking two 500mg tablets, I was chilling non-stop. And I have no fever at that time. I was okay before I drank the med. 


It was really scary. I can feel all my muscles chilling from within. I couldn't stop them. And it was so damn cold! That's probably how it feels when you're on snow. So freakin' cold! My teeth won't even stop clashing against each other. And I got dizzy. My hubby was even shocked to see how pale I become. I was really so close to fainting. That was one scary experience!


I was almost brought to the hospital. My mother came to the rescue and they all gave me first aid. Right after I vomited, the chilling stops. So does the dizziness. I wasn't feeling so cold anymore. I felt a little better.


I visited the doctor the day after. She had me undergo urinalysis and prescribed me some medication. I am still under medication right now but thanks to God, I feel a whole lot better now.




Lessons learned: 


One. Mother's mug of "nilgang Sambong" is far safer than any Sambong tablet. No matter how ill-tasting it is. Lol.


Second. Those herbal tablets aren't that safe at all, no matter how natural they claimed they are.


Third. Always consult a doctor before you take a med! It never feels good to get overdosed! And it was never safe!


Fourth. A cup of water is always better than a cold bottle of coke. I hate to admit that fact! :(

No comments:

Post a Comment